Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Inspected Three Hives

Sunday; 14 June 2009

Hive #3 has my Cordovan bees and they have almost completely filled out the brood box with honey and brood. The honey super is being filled with lovely honey too. I must get another deep built, painted and filled with more foundation by the end of this week. I will be able to harvest honey from this hive this year.

Hive #1 is not as full. Poor bees. This is the one that survived two bear attacks last year. I located the queen and I will need to watch this hive closely. The brood was not a nice concentric circle. I will give her another month and make a decision whether to requeen at that point so they can make it through the winter. No honey from this hive this year.

Hive #3 is bustling as ever. Lots of honey and very strong. I did not have time to find the queen but it was obvious she was in there. The honey super is being filled out nicely. I should be able to harvest honey from this hive too.
Share/Bookmark