Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Attempting to Requeen a Hive With Possible Laying Worker(s)

After talking to another beekeeper in the area I think I just might have a laying worker. My second queen was doing fine up until a week ago. I've searched for her in two thorough inspections and she is gone. I had noticed about a week prior to installing the 2nd queen a cell with three eggs in it, which I thought was odd. My beekeeping friend asked me if I had noticed more than 1 egg in a cell, which I had, and she said it sounds like you have a laying worker(s). She had recently received a newsletter about that very issue. The laying worker and her followers may have killed the 1st AND 2nd queen.

If the third queen isn't accepted I will simply reunite the colony back to the parent colony. (Thank you to
amethystdragon for that suggestion, brillant.)

Share/Bookmark