Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Wednesday, 3 June 2009

Approximately 1:30pm; 82 degrees; Sunny

Six days after installing the new queen I inspected the hive to see if she was out of the cage. Opening the hive I did not smell the sweet smell as before when the bees did not accept the queen. I examined the cage and found the hole with candy plug had been eaten through and the queen and two attendants were still in the cage. I then opened the other end where the cork was plug in and the queen walked out onto my arm. Gently shaking her into the hive she disappeared. Pulling up each frame I heard a very unique sound of a two high pitched bzzzz bzzzz and then again bzzzz bzzzz and found the queen. The bees have accepted her and I saw her insert her abdomen into a cell, hopefully to begin laying eggs.
Share/Bookmark