Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Death of a Queen

A week has passed and I decided to check status of the Queen I installed in the small hive (Hive #4), which was split from a parent colony (Hive #2). After splitting the hive I relocated Hive #4 to another location so they wouldn't drift back to Hive #2.

When I first opened the Hive #4 to check status of the Queen I smelled a scent that I have never smelled before in a hive. It was sweet like an overly ripe fruit. The bees were very defensive and several hit my veil. I remembered in class last year a beekeeper saying that when a hive is angry or very disturbed they put off a smell like a ripe banana. The smell wasn't like a banana but sweet and not a pleasant sweet. It's hard to describe.

The new colony had not accepted the Queen and killed her. I saw Queen cells in the hive and will wait for the hive to create their own Queen.
Share/Bookmark