Friday, February 27, 2015

Magic Comes When You're Not Looking for It

--and the most basic rule is that it has to come as a surprise. Nobody hopped into a wardrobe to find Narnia; they hopped in thinking it was just a wardrobe. They didn't climb up the Faraway Tree knowing it was a Faraway Tree; they thought it was just a really big tree. Harry Potter thought he was a normal boy; Mary Poppins was supposed to be a regular nanny. It's the first and only rule. Magic comes when you're not looking for it. ~ from Geek Girl by Holly Smale

This description of magic truly resonates with my first experience in beekeeping. I started out on the journey of beekeeping as a way of getting closer to my dad who had helped my grandfather keep 30 plus hives. The moment we set out to the bee yard to install our first packages I had a knot in my stomach and had made a pact with myself that if all things went wrong that I could run from the bee yard. My mouth was dry as we set up for the installation process. I didn't tell my dad about my being scared. When we shook out the first package of bees they surrounded us in flight. We shook out the second, third, and fourth packages.  The entire sky was yellow gold, hums, sweet bee smell, bees stretching their wings and I must say it was MAGICAL.
Check the link of a 360 degree bee yard



Share/Bookmark